The Branch Law Firm, PLLC

The Branch Law Firm, PLLC

Friday, February 17, 2012

It Ain't Easy Being Green

One of my goals at The Branch Law Firm, P L L C, is to be as paperless as possible. In order to achieve this goal I am relying on such notables as Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and others like them.  I have spent the first week of my practice working cases and installing software and setting up my hardware.  My ScanSnap S1500 is a remarkable little desktop scanner which is quite user-friendly.  I have scanned untold numbers of documents, categorized them, and shredded the hard copies with my handy-dandy OfficeMax crosscut shredder.  I found a nice 500 MB external hard drive to back up my files from my Hewlett-Packard desktop.  I am also relying on my iPad.  I know that my iPad is "cloud" oriented but I am hesitant to be completely reliant on something over which I have little control.  I love the Pages App.  And, here's a shout out to Rick Robertson at Koons Fuller for his very informative CLE about using the iPad.   I am drafting documents on my iPad from the comfort of my living room couch in the evening and e-mailing my work to myself in Word format.  I am still test driving other apps and software using the free trial periods offered by several manufacturers.  I think back on the summer of 1973 when I attended the University of Kansas Summer Science Program studying computer programming.   This is so far removed from those punch cards from the computer lab with their hanging chads.   I know once I get all of this set up and get in the habit of being green then it will be much easier than this initial set up.  Kermit, I feel your pain – it ain't easy goin' green.

No comments:

Post a Comment