The Branch Law Firm, PLLC

The Branch Law Firm, PLLC

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Treating Rusty Brains and Other Ailments

As the dawn of my double-nickel birthday approaches, I find myself experiencing a sense of gratitude for my health and mobility. While I am not always amused by the energetic pre-6:00 a.m. thumps to the top of my head from my 3-year old Sheltie, rousing me to take him for a quick two mile walk, once outside and underway, I feel a sense of happiness and accomplishment. Gotta love those endorphins--even before the coffee. Add my promise to myself to walk everyday during Lent in order to kickstart what is good for me, leads me to my blog topic. Years ago I read a stress study that the two most stressful life events are the death of a spouse or child closely followed by divorce. The best way to reduce stress is to exercise and meditate. As an attorney, I interact daily with those who are coping with high levels of stress. What better way to reduce one's stress than to lace up one's shoes and head out the door. The objective is not necessarily speed--though I know many runners and a few marathoners (you know who you are BT)--but just to have some quiet time in one's own head and move. The benefits of these excursions are amazing. Purportedly, a 30-minutes daily walk over a 24 month period could lead to a 25 pound weight loss. Exercise reduces one's risk of Alzheimer's, obesity,cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Walking, or other regular physical activity, helps to maintain cognitive function and memory--always helpful for witness recall :). Meditation has been shown to reduce stress hormones. A cup of coffee each day can lower one's risk of certain cancers. People with pets live longer than those without pets. Folks in a relationship live longer than those who live alone. Massage and touch decreases stress. Snuggling a pet, a child, or a significant other also reduces stress and releases endorphins. What a trifecta! Pet the dogs, hook up their leashes, walk them in the quiet sunrise, get back home in time for some quiet time and a cup of coffee. Of course, there's always chocolate . . . but that is a blog unto itself. So my professional advice to clients and non-clients is to take a walk. Listen to the birds. Enjoy the fresh air. Have a quiet moment with a cup of coffee, or a cup of coffee with a friend, even a furry, four-legged one who loves you unconditionally. The benefits will more than compensate for getting up a little earlier. Your brain will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment